Monday, October 4, 2010

Lewis and Clark Half Marathon Recap

My morning started very early, I woke up at 4 am, tried to go back to sleep but it was no use.  I decided I should pump because I wasn't sure when I would get to nurse the baby.  That could make for a miserable morning. Then, of course the lows had been in the 60s all week until Saturday when a cold front came through.  It was in the 30s Sunday morning and was supposed to stay in the 40s for the race.  Ideal race temps really, but I always struggle when the weather first changes on figuring out what to wear so I'm comfortable.  After changing a few times I finally decided on the capris, lightweight long sleeve and a tank under in case I got hot.
My sister picked me up at 5:50.  Start time was 7:15 and it should take 35 minutes to get there.  Then we hit the traffic jam.  Apparently, everyone was taking the same route to the race.  So, what was supposed to take 35 minutes took an hour and 25 minutes.  Awesome.  My sister and I decided to subtitle this race Fleet Feet You Suck!  There was no one assisting with parking to get people in the lot quickly.  No signs telling you which way was the start.  We pulled into the parking lot at start time.  We quickly walked to the start,  the porta-pottys were open so we made a quick stop and jumped in line.  There were so many people the back of the pack hadn't started yet.  Unfortunately, that meant we were starting with the walkers.  We crossed the start line at 7:32.
Waiting at the finish
We tried to just start slow and not weave around too much to pass people but they were walking.  And, it was crowded for the first several miles.  It was actually pretty crowded the whole course.  The course was so boring.  We ran on by this route with a lot of industrial businesses and very little traffic.  Would have been great for the biking section of a triathlon.  They even had us run on the highway to cross over the river.  The only little cute spot with people lining the street came around mile 12.

Cousin looking strong at the finish


I actually felt really good.  I ran with my sister until mile 7.  Around then I decided I was going to try and pick up the pace a little.  (She had moved into a new apartment the day before so she was pretty tired to start.) I felt good, had to stop and tie my shoes a little tighter and turn on my ipod around mile 8.5. Didn't start feeling bad until after mile 10.  Got a little side stitch.  I took the gu they gave out at 8 and I wasn't planning on taking it.  Not sure if that had anything to do with it though.  I ran though the stitch.  Saw my hubby, kids, and youngest sister at the final stretch.
Me-I was actually running
Had a hard time getting through the people to find my family.  Finally found my sister and cousin.  We then headed toward the shuttles to take back to the start (and our cars). We had to wait 30 minutes for the shuttle.  With a baby and a three year old, it seemed like forever.  Another poor planning on Fleet Feet's part.  This is the last year for this race, which is a good thing because I wouldn't recommend it.  Boring course run on expressway, highway and other really sloped roads make for difficult running.
My sister all done
We had a fun day anyway.  My cousin finished her first half, in 2 hours flat at that.  I was slow but finished.  My sister was only 4 minutes behind so I probably should have just stayed with her.  Totally forgot to get a picture of all of us together.
Splits 11:30, 11:43, 10:51,10:40,10:41,10:43,10:44,10:05,10:41(stopped to tie shoe), 10:16,10:23, Started to hurt last 2 miles. 11:07, 11:01
Total 2:21:33
My sister wore her Garmin and had 13.3 miles, we think because of all the running around the walkers the first couple of miles.
Take away, I need to get in some mileage this winter.  I knew I was a little under prepared for this race but I finished.  Next race should be a 5 or 10k, that is more where my mileage is right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment