Friday, July 29, 2011

Chicago Trip

A mostly non running update with lots of pictures. We went on a short family vacation to Chicago. My parents went with us so that was fun. The weather was great. It was easily 20 degrees cooler there. I felt like I could actually breathe again. We still have the stifling heat here, it has been 100 degrees without the heat index. Ugh. So I was happy to be enjoying the breeze from Lake Michigan.

After we got there late afternoon on Monday, We walked down Michigan Ave and over to the beach. The kids got to play in the sand for awhile. We watched the triathletes in there wetsuits doing an open water swim.



I got up early Tuesday and ran from the hotel, down to the Chicago Riverwalk which led to the Lake Shore Trail. I only covered about 3 miles but I figured the kids would be up, which they were.



We started out early for the Shedd Aquarium. The kids had a great time.


We did everything we could possibly do before leaving mid afternoon and taking a water taxi to Navy Pier. We had some Ben and Jerry's before heading back for a quick rest before dinner. We had some Chicago style pizza. I had some spinach and broccoli, while the family had sausage. My 4 year old did not like the "brown" stuff(the sausage) and picked it off, you can see in this picture. The baby however, loved it.


Wednesday we headed to Millennium Park where they had free music,crafts and activities for the kids.


My kids were a little worn out this day and not so into it. It also started raining so we had to regroup before we decided to head back toward Navy Pier. I was going to take them to the Children's Museum there but by time we got there it was time for lunch, then my 4 year old wanted to do the ferris wheel. We decided to start her on the smaller rides, the carrousel and the lighthouse.


The lighthouse one cured her of wanting to do the ferris wheel and we headed over for some more beach time. This time the kids got there feet wet before we headed back. I should mention we had a stroller and an Ergo carrier so we let the 4 year old walk as much as she could and when she got too tired we either put her in the stroller or on Grandpa's shoulders and I carried the baby in the Ergo.

We ended Wednesday with dinner at the Rainforest Cafe. The kids enjoyed that very much and I had a veggie burger with guacamole and a beer so I have no complaints. We even had time to stop at the Sports Authority where I used a coupon and got a hat(free). Yay for awesome coupons!

On Thursday, it was time to head home but on the way back we stopped at Starved Rock State Park for a short hike and a picnic lunch. Did I mention there was a Trader Joe's a half block from our hotel? My four year old seemed to really enjoy leading the group and we wore her out so she slept almost the whole way home. The baby was a little more difficult. Lets's just say it was a long drive.




My little hiking partner.

On a running note, I got a 6 mile run done on the treadmill at the y. I was avoiding the heat:)

No comments:

Post a Comment