Friday, January 14, 2011

Running in the Snow

Like everyone else, we also got a few inches of snow this week. It is finally above freezing today so a little melting is happening. I have been thankful for my Yaktrax this winter. I bit the bullet and signed up for a training team for the half marathon in April. It is put on by a local running store, the last several years they have charged a fee to train with them but this year, it is FREE! They meet twice a week, once for the long run and once for speed work. I suckered my sister into joining as well. We met this past week but didn't do the speed work portion because of the snow covered path. The coaches didnt want anyone to injure themselves trying to do speedwork in the snow. Next week, 400 repeats at.the.track. I'm nauseated just thinking about it. It has been so long since I have done speedwork, it won't be pretty.

I skipped my women's running group yesterday due to the extreme cold. [That's right, I am now on a training team and have my regular running group, so hard core;)] It was 8 degrees and with the wind chill felt like -2. I decided that was too cold to run with the baby in the stroller. Which bring me to my question,

When is it too cold to push kids in the stroller? What temperature do you consider unsafe?


Happy weekend!! I know some will have a three day weekend, my hubby will so I am looking forward to it!

4 comments:

  1. Hi Kris! So glad to blog meet you! And glad you found me without typing in HOt Sexy Bitch! :) My hubby has Monday off too. yay! Wow, that's cold. It doesn't get that cold here but I usually don't take them out if it is in the 40's....that is cold for us. 30's is really cold for us! But it also raining a ton here in Portland during the winter and I don't have a cover for my jogger. Off to check out your blog some more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I usually won't run w/ the kids under 40/45.. but that is because I don't have a cover or anything. My 2 year old will not stay in it that long and I know it's not a guaranteed workout so I rarely take both of them ! The group is going to be key! :) Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't have the wind blocker thing so I won't take them out when it's below 45ish.. also Nick won't sit in there for very long so I only use it as a bonus workout - no guarantee I'll get it done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. P.S. the running group should be key! I love running w/ people!

    ReplyDelete