Thursday, June 9, 2011

TPNA 5k Race

I ran the Tilles Park Neighborhood Association (TPNA) 5k this past weekend.  I worked the night shift, changed at work, then went straight to the race.  Luckily, I picked up my bib number the day before so I was in no rush.  I got there in plenty of time then realized how flipping hot it was.  There was a heat advisory in effect and it was steamy.  It was already in the high 80s/low 90s by time the race started a 8:30.  I'm not going to lie, I did not warm up at all, it was way too hot.  I was questioning my sanity at being there at all. But, hey I wasn't the only one there.
This is a fun little race through a local neighborhood.  It is race #2 of the South City Racing Series.  It starts by going around Tilles park then wraps around, up, down the neighborhood.  It is a fairly small area and they keep you off the main roads so lots of turns, lots of little hills. It was well marked and the roads were blocked to traffic.  They had lots of volunteers and due to the weather they even added a second water stop.  Everyone was friendly and encouraging.  I knew I would not be running faster than my 5k four weeks earlier due to the heat and being up all night.  That one was 27:07.  So I planned on hitting around 9 minutes for the first mile than seeing how I felt, if i would try to push the pace to just below 9.  It was a group start and so I clicked my watch when the gun went off and again when I crossed the line.  9 seconds.  I hit the first mile at 9:04.  Perfect, not too fast, didn't feel bad, so I picked it up a little.  I ended up at 28:28, my time, 28:37 official time.  I was hurting that last 1/2 mile.  I cleared my watch and for some reason didn't write down my other splits:-/
Upon looking at the results, everyone had slowed down from the first race.  I talked to several people who said it was one of their worst 5k times.  It was due to the early heat wave we are having.  We don't usually hit these temps until July or August. So, I am happy with my time.  No complaints here.
They had a free kids race afterward and gave ribbons and prizes to the kids.  They had attendance prizes for the adults and a nice spread of bagels, bananas, and orange slices.  It was a fun morning and will plan on doing this one again next year.
Next race in the series is The Macklind Mile on the Fourth of July.

No comments:

Post a Comment